What kind of Calculator do I need for Course 1B?

Monday, November 17, 2014

A. You need a calculator with scientific notation. These calculators are usually called “scientific” or “slide-rule” types. Look at the keys on the calculator if you are not sure. There is usually a key with “EE” marked on it for the powers of ten. There will also be trigonometric keys like “sin,” “cos,” and “tan” You may also keys marked and “x2.” These are very handy functions, and can save you some time and confusion if you learn how to use them.

Don’t get a business calculator. These usually lack scientíñc notation and have statistical functions that you will never use.

While it is possible to use a regular four-function calculator to solve your electronics problems, you will have to handle the powers of ten separately, and write them down on paper. This becomes so awkward and inconvenient that it greatly increases the labor involved.

Sharp Scientific Calculator - $14.95

Leave your comment