This course will cover concepts related to protecting a network against an attack. A review of network operation is accompanied by theoretical threats to networks and the best possible countermeasures are shown.
Administrative policies that keep networks secure are discussed along with threats to virtual private networks (VPNs) and network intrusions are described. Methods of detection and action will be explained as well as how to install proxy servers, firewalls, and virtual private networks.
Upon completion of this course the student will:
• Describe how to develop a security policy
• Discuss the countermeasures needed to prevent intrusions
• Discuss the steps in setting up packet filters
• Describe the policies used to secure networks
• Explain network security defenses commonly used in organizations
Student Evaluation and Grading:
There are ten lessons in this course. The lessons are broken into nine exams and one case study. The nine lessons conclude with an examination; all examinations are open book.
The Case Study explores real-world scenarios through written responses.
The minimum passing score of 70% must be achieved but if the score is less than 70%, the lesson must be retaken to earn a passing score of 70% overall. The ten scores are averaged together and constitute 100% of the course grade.
The final grade for this course will be determined as follows:
93% - 100% A
86% - 92.9% B
78% - 85.9% C
70% - 77.9% D
9 examinations + 1 Case Study = 100%
You should complete the following lessons in the order shown in the table. It is best to complete 1-2 lessons per week to maintain your schedule.
3751C Network Defense Fundamentals
• Threats to network security
• Network security defenses
3752C Security Policy Design
• Risk analysis
• Techniques to minimize risk
3753C Security Policy Implementation
• Best practices in security policies
• Ongoing risk analysis and incident-handling procedures
3754C Network Traffic Signatures
• Concepts of signature analysis
• Identifying suspicious events and traffic signatures
3755C Virtual Private Network Concepts
• Encapsulation, encryption and authentication in VPNs
3756C VPN Implementation
• Design considerations for a VPN
• Setting up VPNs with firewalls
3757C Intrusion Detection System Concepts
• The components of an intrusion detection system
• Types of IDS products
3758C Intrusion Detection: Incident Response
• Configure an IDS and develop filter rules
• Six-step incident response process
3759C Choosing and Designing Firewalls
• Rules and restrictions for a firewall
• Common firewall configurations
3760C Case Study
• Selected Case Projects
In addition, this Network Defense and Countermeasures comes with Superior Student Privileges so you never have to study alone!
1. Instructor Assistance:
Use our toll-free Instructor Hot-line to access our faculty and staff if you ever need assistance with your course work. CIE's dedicated staff of instructors do more than just grade your exams; they help guide you, step-by-step, through your studies.
They'll encourage you when you're doing well and give you support when you need it. Most importantly they'll see that every question you have receives careful consideration by one or more members of the staff.
You can be sure the response, whether it's a simple explanation of electronics fundamentals or an in-depth theoretical discussion, will be prompt, courteous and thorough.
2. Priority Grading - No waiting
Your submitted exams will be graded and sent back to you immediately. You can be sure that you will get back almost instantaneous feedback from your exams. Take your exams online on our e-grade web site or mail them in to us.
3. Professional Certificate of Completion from CIE Bookstore
After finishing the course you'll receive a certificate of completion in Network Defense and Countermeasures suitable for framing!
How do I enroll?
1. You can enroll online (click the 'Add to Cart' button).
2. Call us at (800) 321-2155 and ask for the Network Defense and Countermeasures (02-S375).
3. You can mail a check or money order for $62.95 to:
(Includes $12.75 for shipping/handling.)
1776 E. 17th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44114
CIE Bookstore's affordable Network Defense and Countermeasures Course will provide step-by-step Network training you can do at home. Learning network defense has never been easier! This course is in stock.