Guide to UNIX Using Linux, Fourth Edition
Guide to UNIX using Linux. Packed with step-by-step projects for direct, hands-on learning.
Written with a clear, straightforward writing style and packed with step-by-step projects for direct, hands-on learning, Guide to UNIX Using Linux, 4E is the perfect resource for learning UNIX and Linux from the ground up.
Through the use of practical examples, end-of-chapter reviews, and interactive exercises, novice users are transformed into confident UNIX/Linux users who can employ utilities, master files, manage and query data, create scripts, access a network or the Internet, and navigate popular user interfaces and software.
The updated 4th edition incorporates coverage of the latest versions of UNIX and Linux, including new versions of Red Hat, Fedora, SUSE, and Uuntu Linux. A new chapter has also been added to cover basic networking utilities, and several other chapters have been expanded to include additional information on the KDE and GNOME desktops, as well as coverage of the popular OpenOffice.org office suite.
With a strong focus on universal UNIX and Linux commands that are transferable to all versions of Linux, this book is a "must-have" for anyone seeking to develop their knowledge of these systems.
- Illustrations and updated screen captures clarify key concepts
- Free copy of most current distribution of Fedora Core (Linux) included to complete hands-on projects and Discovery Exercises
- Discovery Exercises at the end of each chapter range from easy to challenging to encourage readers to continue to further their knowledge
- Hands-on projects at the end of each chapter provide clear, step-by-step practice for applying what has been learned
- Syntax/Dissection boxes for every command offer readers a summarization of the syntax, its use, and its commonly used command options, to provide a study aid and quick reference
- Appendix includes a Syntax Guide to UNIX/Linux commands that covers purpose, options, and examples to serve as a comprehensive reference tool
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: The Essence of UNIX and Linux
Chapter 2: Exploring the UNIX/Linux File Systems and File Security
Chapter 3: Mastering Editors
Chapter 4: UNIX/Linux File Processing
Chapter 5: Advanced File Processing
Chapter 6: Introduction to Shell Script Programming
Chapter 7: Advanced Shell Programming
Chapter 8: Exploring the UNIX/Linux Utilities
Chapter 9: Perl and CGI Programming
Chapter 10: Developing UNIX/Linux Applications in C and C++
Chapter 11: The X Window System
Appendix A: How to Access a UNIX/Linux Operating System
Appendix B: Syntax Guide to UNIX/Linux Commands
Appendix C: How to Install Fedora and How to Use the Knoppix CD
Appendix D: UNIX/Linux Variants
Appendix E: UNIX/Linux Security: Network and Internet Connectivity
How do I order?
1. You can order online (click the 'Add to Cart' button).
2. Call us at (800) 321-2155 and ask for course 21-7235.
3. You can mail a check or money order for $165.95
(includes $16.95 for shipping/handling) to:
1776 E. 17th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44114
4. Western Union or Bank transfer.
5. You can send a PayPal transfer of $121.95 to
6. You can fax your order to us at 216-781-0331.
Foreign shipping expense will be higher.