Introduction to PC Board Design
Learn how to design and build printed circuit boards with this unique distance learning course from CIE Bookstore.
Designing a PC board is not complicated if you follow the basic rules outlined in this distance learning course. Every lesson is presented in a clear easy-to-understand format which makes learning this material fun and easy.
This course includes all the benefits of being a Cleveland Institute of Electronics student - Certificate of Completion from CIE Bookstore, Instructor Assistance and Priority Grading (via our on-line testing web site or mail-ins).
In addition, this program includes a soldering lab that covers everything that the electronic technician needs to know about soldering. Start with the basics and then move on to more advanced techniques. Learn how to inspect and repair solder joints using the included soldering iron!
After completing this course you'll able to:
- Design PCBs.
- Avoid the pitfalls which lead to sloppy, unprofessional workmanship.
- Solder to Printed Circuirt Boards
- Inspect and Repair Solder Joints
- Identify and Test Components
- Trace Circuits
- Build an Electric Siren
Here's what you'll receive:
- 4 CIE lessons with experiments
- Soldering iron
- Hands-on training lab
CIE Lesson & Exam Material for Certificate:
Lesson 1: PC Board Layout
- Printed Circuit Drafting - Glossary of Terms - Reference Designation - Schematic Diagram -Component Layout Using the Grid System - Mounting Components and Bending Leads - Layout of Parts - Design Criteria - Determination of Land Width - Determination of Land Spacing - The Do's and Don'ts of PCB Layout - Using Tapes and Special Stick-on Patterns
Lesson 2: Reliable Soldering Techniques
- Soldering Tools for Electronics - The Soldering Iron Tip - How to Tin Your Soldering Iron - Solder Flux and Solderability - Soldering Properties of Solder - Eutectic Solder - Tools for Electronic Technicians - 1 experiment with exam.
Lesson 3: Working with Printed Circuit Boards
Purpose of Printed Circuit Boards - Cold Solder Joints - Tinning - Splicing Two Wires Together - Soldering Stranded Wire - Soldering to Terminals - Tack Soldering - Soldering to Printed-Circuit Boards - 3 experiments with examination.
Lesson 4: Building a Siren with Flashing Light
- Practical Soldering Tips - How to Repair Solder Joints - Identifying Components - Reading the Color Bands - Testing Components - Circuit Tracing - 4 experiments with examination.
After you finish each lesson you'll take an exam. After you finish all your exams we'll send you a Certificate of Completion in PC Board Layout that's suitable for framing.
This course includes all the benefits of being a CIE student - Certificate of Completion from CIE upon completion, FREE Instructor Tutorial Assistance, and Superior Student Privileges so you never have to study alone!
1. Instructor Assistance:
Use our toll-free Instructor Hot-line to access our faculty and staff if you ever need assistance with your course work. CIE's dedicated staff of instructors do more than just grade your exams; they help guide you, step-by-step, through your studies.
They'll encourage you when you're doing well and give you support when you need it. Most importantly they'll see that every question you have receives careful consideration by one or more members of the staff. You can be sure the response, whether it's a simple explanation or an in-depth theoretical discussion, will be prompt, courteous and thorough.
2. Priority Grading - No waiting
Your submitted exams will be graded and sent back to you within 24 hours. You can be sure that you will get back almost instantaneous feedback from your exams. You can take your exams on-line on our e-grade site or send them in.
3. Professional Certificate of Completion from CIE Bookstore
After finishing this course you'll receive a certificate of completion suitable for framing!
4. Free access to CIE's school paper The Electron.
5. Student Resources:
You’ll received complete lesson and tuition credit if you ever decide to transfer over to CIE’s nationally accredited Associate Degree program! Your exam scores will be stored in CIE's data base will be ready for you when you need them!
How do I enroll?
1. You can order online (click the 'Add to Cart' button).
2. Call us at (800) 321-2155 and ask for course 02-261.
3. You can mail a check or money order for $166.95
(includes $16.95 for shipping/handling) to:
1776 E. 17th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44114
4. Western Union or PayPal.
5. You can fax your order to us at 216-781-0331.
Foreign shipping expense will be higher.
Start your Printed Circuit Board Design & Layout training today.