Beginning iPhone 4 Development
Everything you need to know to develop your own best-selling iPhone and iPad apps, plus best practices for optimizing your code and delivering great user experiences.
Beginning iPhone 4 Development
Beginning iPhone 4 Development is a complete course in iOS development. You’ll master techniques that work on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
We start with the basics, showing you how to download and install the tools you'll need, and how to create your first simple application. Next you’ll learn to integrate all the interface elements iOS users have come to know and love, such as buttons, switches, pickers, toolbars, and sliders.
You’ll master a variety of design patterns, from the simplest single view to complex hierarchical drill-downs. The confusing art of table building will be demystified, and you’ll learn techniques to save and retrieve your data using SQLite, iPhone’s built-in database management system and Core Data, the standard for persistence that Apple brought to iOS with the release of SDK 3.
And there’s much more! You’ll learn to draw using Quartz 2D and OpenGL ES, add multitouch gestural support (pinches and swipes) to your applications, and work with the camera, photo library, accelerometer, and built-in GPS. You’ll discover the fine points of application preferences and learn how to localize your apps for multiple languages. You'll also learn how to use the new concurrency APIs included in iOS 4, and make robust multithreaded applications using Grand Central Dispatch.
* The iPhone 4 update to the best-selling and most recommended book for Cocoa touch developers
* Written in an accessible, easy-to-follow style
* Full of useful tips and techniques to help you become an iOS pro
What you’ll learn
* Everything you need to know to develop your own best-selling iPhone and iPad apps
* Best practices for optimizing your code and delivering great user experiences
* How to create “universal” apps for both iPhone and iPad
Who this book is for
Anyone who wants to start developing for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Table of Contents
1. Welcome to the Jungle
2. Appeasing the Tiki Gods
3. Handling Basic Interaction
4. More User Interface Fun
5. Autorotation and Autosizing
6. Multiview Applications
7. Tab Bars and Pickers
8. Introduction to Table Views
9. Navigation Controllers and Table Views
10. iPad Considerations
11. Application Settings and User Defaults
12. Basic Data Persistence
13. Grand Central Dispatch, Background Processing, and You
14. Drawing with Quartz and OpenGL
15. Taps, Touches, and Gestures
16. Where Am I? Finding Your Way with Core Location
17. Whee! Gyro and Accelerometer!
18. iPhone Camera and Photo Library
19. Application Localization
20. Where to Next?
How do I order Beginning iPhone 4 Development?
1. You can order online with a Credit Card or PayPal account (simply click the 'Add to Cart' button).
2. Or you can call us at (800) 321-2155 and ask for product 02-747.
3. You can mail a check or money order for $49.94
(includes $9.95 for shipping/handling) to:
1776 E. 17th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44114
4. You can fax your order to us at 216-781-0331.
Foreign shipping expense will be higher.
Order online or call (800) 321-2155 and ask for 02-747 Beginning iPhone 4 Development.